Not In Store / Available To Order (allow for shipping time to bookstore or direct-to-home)
An exquisite collection of artifacts, sculptures, and historically significant treasures from across India. If the captivating bronze dancing girl of Harappa denoted sophisticated early civilization, the stunning Sanchi Stupa symbolized the peak of Buddhist religion in India.
If the world-renowned Taj Mahal was a testament to the wealth of the Mughal empire, Tipu’s Tiger, an intricate, almost life-sized mechanical toy, represented the king of Mysore’s resistance against the East India Company.
Whether it is the striking sculptures of the famed city of Hampi, the beautiful folios from religious texts, the breathtaking Konark wheel, the famous Koh-i-Noor, or the elegant paintings of Raja Ravi Varma, these artifacts, monuments and artworks are intimately woven into the history and culture of India and revered for their beauty and artistry.
Dive deep into the culturally rich history of India to explore:
- A curated showcase of more than 100 of India’s treasures, from the very popular ones that are housed in museums across the world to those hidden away in different corners of India.
- Timelines take the reader through the various eras and dynasties.
- Something new on every page and features a wide range of artifacts, from paintings and sculptures, to jewelery and sacred objects.
- Key events, people, and dynasties from the ancient and medieval age to the colonial period and independent, contemporary India.
- Themed double page features to give the reader a broader context of the object and its place in Indian history.
- A selection of gallery pages to give readers an idea of the treasure troves that exist in India.
Ranging from the extraordinary to the ordinary, from the remarkable to the traditional, these objects capture moments, reflect changes, and remain grounded in the many lived realities of India. The richly illustrated Treasures of India navigates the history of India, through the early civilizations, formation of kingdoms, religious movements, the establishment of empires, the struggle for Independence, and the emergence of a democracy and republic through more than 100 objects and monuments, exploring the fascinating and unique stories behind each of them.
About the Author
We believe in the power of discovery. That's why we create books for everyone that explore ideas and nurture curiosity about the world we live in.
From first words to the Big Bang, from the wonders of nature to city adventures, you will find expert knowledge, hours of fun and endless inspiration in the pages of our books.