Forged in the fires of the Bronx and Kingston, Jamaica, hip-hop became the Esperanto of youth rebellion and a generation-defining movement. In a post-civil rights era defined by deindustrialization and globalization, hip-hop crystallized a multiracial, polycultural generation's worldview, and transformed American politics and culture. But that epic story has never been told with this kind of breadth, insight, and style.
Based on original interviews with DJs, b-boys, rappers, graffiti writers, activists, and gang members, with unforgettable portraits of many of hip-hop's forebears, founders, and mavericks, including DJ Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa, Chuck D, and Ice Cube, Can't Stop Won't Stop chronicles the events, the ideas, the music, and the art that marked the hip-hop generation's rise from the ashes of the 60's into the new millennium. Here is a powerful cultural and social history of the end of the American century, and a provocative look into the new world that the hip-hop generation created.
About the Author
Jeff Chang has been a hip-hop journalist for over a decade and has written for "The San Francisco Bay Guardian," "The Village Voice," "Vibe," "The Nation," "URB," "Rap Pages," "Spin" and "Mother Jones." He was a founding editor of "Colorlines Magazine," Senior Editor at Russell Simmons' 360hiphop.com and co-founder of the influential hip-hop label, SoleSides, now Quannum Projects. He lives in California.
Praise for Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation:
"Flow without the ego, intellectualism without Ivory Tower disdain, and, finally, history with heart and passion and fire: Jeff Chang's Can't Stop Won't Stop manages to go from wide-lens overview to pinpoint accuracy in covering the biggest cultural-political movement of our time. A true accomplishment."
- Farai Chideya, author of Trust and The Color of Our Future
"Jeff Chang is a master alchemist, spinning narrative gold from a weave of sociology, history, political theory, and old fashioned boom-bap. . .Can't Stop Won't Stop is one of the best books yet written on the shifting, tumultuous history of hip-hop culture and the generation of adherents it spat onto the American and global landscape. It is a tour-de-force."
- Selwyn Seyfu Hinds, author of Gunshots In My Cook-Up: Bits of Hip-Hop Caribbean Life
"An exuberant and revelatory history of the inner-city cultural revolution that still rocks the world. Jeff Chang is hip-hop's John Reed."
- Mike Davis, author of City of Quartz and Planet of Slums
"One of our most insightful commentators on urban music takes a panoramic survey of hip-hop's entirety. . .Authoritative, incisive, and entertaining, Can't Stop Won't Stop is a massive achievement."
- Simon Reynolds, author of Rip It Up And Start Again: Postpunk 1978-84 and Generation Ecstasy
"Don't be misled; this is not just another rap book. . .inflammatory, illuminating, and anything but myopic, the scope of Chang's work is awe-inspiring."
- DJ Shadow, hip-hop artist, Endtroducing and The Private Press
"This book belongs on your shelf next to Criminal Minded, Illmatic and All Eyez On Me."
- William Jelani Cobb, Ph.D, author of To The Break of Dawn: A Freestyle on the Hip Hop Aesthetic
"Orale pues-Can't Stop Won't Stop draws from the fire, verve, rage, injustices, pains, victories, and creativity of a whole generation of marginalized, forgotten, pissed-on and pissed-off youth."
- Luis J. Rodriguez, author of Always Running: La Vida Loca, Gang Days in LA and Hearts and Hands: Creating Community in Violent Times
"Jeff Chang backspins the uninterrogated truisms that plague so much hip hop scholarship. . .Can't Stop Won't Stop is a fluid, incisive analysis built from the ground up, with plenty of funky breakdowns."
- Adam Mansbach, author of Angry White Boy and Shackling Water
"Has any scholar ever loved hip hop so well-and taken it as seriously-as Jeff Chang does in Can't Stop Won't Stop?"
- Bill Adler, author of Tougher Than Leather
"From the intellectual roots of Black cultural and political movements to the emergence of hip-hop activism, Can't Stop Won't Stop is the most comprehensive book out on hip-hop."
- Henry Chalfant, co-producer Style Wars, co-author of Subway Art and Spraycan Art
"Can't Stop Won't Stop brings us so much closer to fully understanding the complexities that inspired the Hip-Hop Generation."
- Mark Anthony Neal, author of Songs in the Key of Black Life: A Rhythm and Blues Nation
"Jeff Chang has created a new rhythm in hip-hop writing. A must-read and an instant classic."
- B+ (Brian Cross), photographer, producer/director of Keepintime, and author of It's Not About A Salary