This event is currently SOLD OUT, but standby tickets may be released closer to the event. Contact the Kings Theatre box office for more information.
Wednesday, October 4, 7:30 PM
Ta-Nehisi Coates presents We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy
In conversation with Jeffrey Goldberg
Hosted by Greenlight Bookstore and The Atlantic
At Kings Theatre
Tickets $20* (seat only) and $40* (seat plus book)
Ta-Nehisi Coates – award-winning correspondent for The Atlantic, MacArthur Fellow and winner of the National Book Award for Between the World and Me – returns to Brooklyn to present his newest book, a vital account of modern America from one of the definitive voices of this historic moment. We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy is part memoir, part polemic: an examination on the Obama era and its connections to America’s last experiment in truly multiracial democracy during the post-Civil War era of Reconstruction. Coates examines the new voices, ideas, and movements for justice that emerged over this period – and the effects of the persistent, haunting shadow of our nation’s old and unreconciled history – from his intimate and revealing perspective as a young writer who begins the journey in an unemployment office in Harlem and ends it in the Oval Office, interviewing a president. Coates discusses his work and perspectives at Brooklyn’s gorgeously restored historic Kings Theatre with Jeffrey Goldberg, editor in chief of The Atlantic.
** Click here for tickets **
Answers to FAQs:
- This event is currently sold out, but additional seats are likely to be released before the event. Contact the Kings Theatre box office for the most updated information on available tickets.
- Kings Theatre is located at 1027 Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn; click here for directions.
- Tickets are available through Ticketmaster at the link above, or through the Kings Theatre box office (Ticketmaster fees do not apply to box office sales). All ticket purchases have a $4 venue fee added. Greenlight has no control over fees charged by venue or ticket provider.
- Each $40 ticket includes admission to the event, as well as a pre-signed hardcover copy of We Were Eight Years in Power; books are distributed to bundled ticketholders at the event. Each $20 ticket includes admission to the event only. Seats can be selected on the Ticketmaster page. Blocks of 10 or more tickets can be purchased at a $5 discount per ticket; you must choose the "Group Discount" option on the Ticketmaster pager to apply the block discount.
- There is no in-person signing at the event. Only copies of We Were Eight Years in Power will be pre-signed, and no personalization is available. Additional pre-signed copies of We Were Eight Years in Power will be offered for sale at the event for the list price of $28.00.
- Signed copies of We Were Eight Years in Power can also be purchased through our website; please indicate signing request in the Order Comments field, and allow time after the event for signed copies to be processed. Copies purchased on the website cannot be picked up at the venue, but can be picked up at either of our store locations or shipped anywhere within the US.
Please note: purchase of this book is not equivalent to purchase of a ticket for the October 4 event, and books purchased on the website cannot be picked up at the theater venue. Signed copies of this book will be available following the event; please indicate signed copy request in Order Comments. Or click here for tickets to the event.